Alana Scott and I have teamed up today to share some content with each other. Alana is a FODMAP blogger from New Zealand. She interviewed me for a detailed blog post she wrote, entitled: 12 Tips for Constipation. Constipation and the bloating that accompanies it can make one feel rather desperate at times. I really think prevention is the key. A daily regimen that will not require "rescue" laxatives can minimize abdominal pain and discomfort and help avoid the rebound diarrhea that often follows over-treatment of constipation. Alana and I spent a lot of time working together to make this a really comprehensive and helpful article.
I think you will really like Alana's blog. Her writing is carefully researched and she makes a point of consulting trained medical professionals as sources.
Alana is also a talented recipe developer. She shared one of her recipes with me to post on my blog. Doesn't it look more than a little bit yummy? This recipe makes a full meal.
8 chicken drumsticks
Drizzle of olive oil
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
280g (4 medium) carrots
100g (1 medium) parsnip
1 large red bell pepper
Drizzle of olive oil
Dressing for Roast Vegetables
1 large orange (4 tbsp of freshly squeezed orange juice)
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp garlic infused oil
2 tsp crushed ginger
1 tbsp maple syrup
Brown Rice Salad
300g (1 & ½ cups) brown rice
1 & ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
½ tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp of olive oil
20g (1/2 cup) spring onion (green tips only)
10g (1 cup) fresh cilantro (coriander)
40g (1 cup) baby spinach
45g hulled pumpkin seeds (toasted).
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC (390ºF). Line a roasting tray with baking paper. Place the chicken drumsticks in the roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with cumin and paprika. Season with a few grinds of salt and pepper. Place to one side.
2. Prepare the roast vegetables by peeling the carrots and parsnip. Cut the carrots and parsnip into sticks. Deseed and cut the red bell pepper into chunks. Line another roasting tray with baking paper. Place the vegetables in the roasting tray. Juice the orange. Then make the roast vegetable dressing by mixing together the freshly squeezed orange juice, cumin seeds, garlic infused oil, crushed ginger and maple syrup. Spoon half of the dressing over the vegetables.
3. Place the roast vegetables and chicken drumsticks into the oven and bake for 40 to 50
minutes. Turn the roast vegetables and chicken after they have been cooking for 20 minutes. Pour the remaining dressing over the roast vegetables. Remove the chicken once it is golden and the juices run clear. Remove the vegetables once tender (they might cook slightly faster than the chicken).
4. Once the vegetables and chicken drumsticks are in the oven, place the brown rice on to cook according to packet directions. Once cooked, rinse the brown rice under warm water using a sieve, then drain.
5. Toast the pumpkin seeds in a small frypan for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat. Then place to one side.
6. Roughly chop the fresh cilantro (coriander) and finely chop the green tips of the spring onion.
7. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the bones using two forks. Then shred.
8. Mix the maple syrup, red wine vinegar and olive oil together in a large bowl. Then add the cooked brown rice, fresh cilantro (coriander), green spring onion tips, spinach, shredded chicken, and roast vegetables. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and season with salt and pepper as desired.
9. Divide among bowls and enjoy! This dish is best served warm.