Most people can easily meet their protein needs through food alone on a low FODMAP diet, but sometimes a little extra help from special products is needed. Athletes in training or underweight patients often ask what products are suitable, so I have reviewed the available options. Protein supplements are not right for some people, so please seek advice from your health care provider if you have any other medical conditions besides your IBS. These products are NOT meant to be sole sources of nutrition. They are used in addition to a wide variety of low FODMAP foods and beverages.
The following protein supplements do not appear to contain FODMAPs based on the list of ingredients and the nutrition info provided by the manufactureres as of today. Always double check list of ingredients before you buy:
- Nutribiotic Vegan Rice Protein Powder Vanilla
- Dr. Sears Zone Protein Powder
- Jarrow Brown Rice Protein Concentrate Vanilla Flavor (does contain a gum, gums are not FODMAPs but are close enough to be poorly tolerated by some people)
- Nestle Benecalorie (special order at pharmacy)
- Nestle Beneprotein (special order at pharmacy)
- Bi-Pro Whey Protein Isolate (online only)
If those are not available, the next lowest FODMAP supplements would be:
- Solgar Whey to Go Whey Protein Powder Natural Vanilla Flavor (less than 1 gram of lactose per serv)
- Biochem 100% Whey Protein Powder Natural Flavor (packages claim 99% lactose free, other marketing from company says lactose-free, does contain xanthan gum).
- Ensure Clear ("suitable for lactose intolerance" per Abbott Nutrition--not the same as lactose-free, but presumably very low lactose to support this claim)
Note that other flavors by the same companies and in the same line of products may contain FODMAPs such as fructose.
Please comment if you'd like to suggest other products. Also, please share how you consume your protein powder--low FODMAP smoothie and shake recipes are welcome!