What Every RD Needs to Know about FODMAPs
A 5 CPEU, hands-on interactive workshop for dietitians.
Provided by: Kate Scarlata, RD, LDN and Patsy Catsos, MS, RD, LD
Friday, May 4, 9 am-3 pm, Great Bay Community College, Portsmouth, NH
REGISTER TODAY: LIMITED TO 70 PARTICIPANTS!
The FODMAPs concept, developed in Australia, is gaining momentum in the US as an emerging evidenced-based dietary approach that is effective in managing symptoms in 75% of those who suffer with IBS.
Each participant will receive the most up-to-date information about FODMAPs straight from Australia. Tools for patient education including a copy of IBS—Free at Last!, reproducible patient handouts, and a low FODMAP recipe booklet.
- Describe the common characteristics of FODMAPs carbohydrates and how they act in collective manner to trigger IBS symptoms.
- List prominent food sources of FODMAPs in the US diet.
- Create a FODMAPs nutrition care plan for an IBS patient.
- Instruct a patient on the details of a FODMAPs elimination diet, including the challenge phase, using tools provided at the workshop.
Schedule of Events:
8:30-9:00 AM Registration
9:00-9:45 FODMAPs: Efficacy, Food Composition and New Research
- What are FODMAPs and how do they cause symptoms of IBS?
- Do low FODMAPs diets work? What’s the evidence?
- What foods in the US diet contain measurable FODMAPs?
- What foods are low in FODMAPs?
- New cutoffs levels
- Fiber without FODMAPs
9:45 AM-11: 15 AM Advanced Medical Nutrition Therapy for IBS: Using FODMAP Elimination Diet and Challenge Protocol
- Identify appropriate patients
- Three-visit nutrition care plan
- Use standardized language in patient medical records
- Teaching tools for the RD
11:15-12:00 FODMAPs: Pearls for Practice
- Menu planning, label reading, grocery shopping and recipe modification.
- Marketing your IBS practice and getting new referrals.
12:00 noon-1:00 PM Lunch break and networking
(Sharing marketing ideas: please bring business cards)
1:00-3:00 PM FODMAPs Workshop in Small Groups
- Case studies and role playing
- Menu planning and label reading strategies
- Product sampling
Cancellations will be refunded minus admin fee of $25.00 up to 1 week prior to event.
Registration deadline: April 25, 2012.
CPEUs approved: 5 Learning Codes: 5000 5220 3000
This conference is limited to 70 participants! Sign up early for this very hot topic in nutrition intervention.